Monday, February 7, 2011

February 7 Running Out of Cope

Numbers 11:11 He asked the LORD, " Why have you brought this trouble on your servant? What have I done to displease you that you put the burden of all these people on me?"

Our family lost a beloved son, grandson, brother, cousin and nephew this week - he was 13. It is interesting to read this entry right now...I am sure that similar thoughts have been much on the minds of many in our family as they tried to make sense of such an early death. Why God? He was a good boy, and we all have tried to do what you wanted, so help us to understand.

The why question was not a "How dare you God?" kind of a why, but we want to do this right, walk these painful steps in the way that accomplishes your purpose for all of this pain.

Jonathan was a good boy, a great friend to his peers and especially to his father. His Bible and Sunday School teachers spoke well of him; the parents of his friends were grateful to have him in the lives of their children, so it would be normal to ask that question.

I can remember, as a child, being convinced that when bad or hard things came into my life, it was somehow a judgment for my sin - God balancing the books. I have come to understand that Christ balanced the books at Calvary, and though somehow tragedy is the result of our bad choices - don't drink and drive, for example, that is not always the case.

The idea that God punishes us through personal tragedy does not reflect the character of a holy and good God, but it does reflect the sin which has contaminated the world. Remember, death was not God's plan for his children

Smith asks in this way: Was Moses cursed with the leadership of Israel because God found him displeasing, or had God greatly honored him as a man with broad shoulders?

Jonathan's family honored God through this last week in ways that evidenced their strong faith in the goodness of God, in the plan of God. His dad, Jim, found comfort in the knowledge, the confidence that Jonathan is now in the presence of God, forever shed of all the pain of this world. Jim reminded us of both his and our blessed hope, and he bore the pain of losing a son to the glory of God.

Smith asks, "Could it be that we are the very ones God is setting in place to help another cope?" Perhaps! But the answer to that questions is whether we want to turn their attention to God or to ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a difficult thing to wrap my mind around, and I don't know that I will ever understand it this side of eternity. I do rest in knowing that I have a loving heavenly father who has (as, Carol, you have said many times to me) sifted this through His hands and has allowed this to be in our life.

    I have been praying for peace and comfort for those involved in this untimely death as well as for my own family who is coping with losing a loved one.

    ReplyDelete