Friday, August 19, 2011

May 19, How Fast Time Flies!!!


Psalm 33: 1and 4-5 Let the godly sing with joy to the LORD, for it is fitting to praise Him...For the word of the LORD holds true, and everything He does is worth of our trust. He loves whatever is just and good, and his unfailing love fills the earth.

I can't believe it has been a week since I last wrote here, but let me tell you it has been a full week. Last weekend, I spent every spare minute trying to think and clean and shop ahead, knowing that this last week, I would be at school every day from 8am to nearly 9pm for our Leadership Training Week. That said, it has been an unbelievably sweet week with God.

How do you sleep the night before Christmas? or vacation? or your birthday? I don't know about you, but it takes little to mess with my sleep routine, and this week was no exception. I had lots of presentations to make, housing to finalize, and lots of involvement in the entire week...and weekend to come. So, lots of time to pray.

Now, there was another God thing that enhanced all that night-time prayer opportunities. We had our leadership team read MAKING DISCIPLES, ONE CONVERSATION AT A TIME. One of those chapters talked about visualization as a helpful tool. The author encourages people to visualize ahead of time the conversations they are going to make as they minister to people. The point is to take the fear out of it, to make the actual conversation much more comfortable because you have anticipated it, have rehearsed it.

As I thought about that, I thought about visualization as a useful tool even in my prayer time. Instead of praying to a God Who is somewhere, I started visualizing God in person, of imagining what it would be like to actually be in His presence. Now I have believed and taught that God is everywhere present. And I know that when I pray, I am talking to Him, but let me tell you, it has been so different this week, thinking through the reality that I am in God's presence, the One who loves me without condition.

Let me encourage you to think through Who you are praying to, and how much that concept is influenced by your relationship with other humans, your own dad perhaps. When I thought about what it would be like in His presence, after I leave this life, it occurred to me how great the difference between here and there would be. Think about what it would be like to be without sin and doubt and fear and insecurity in your own mind. Then think about being in that place, that Holy Place, in His Presence - how sweet, how pure, how inviting, how accepting, how loved you will feel! And we don't have to wait until His return or death releases us to that place. We have access to it now, every time we meet Him in conversation, whether we are speaking or listening.

4 comments:

  1. I think the ultimate visualization of God's presence was Isaiah's in chapter 6. It helps me when I pray to picture the throne of God, with all of the scary splendor that made Isaiah so aware of his own uncleanness. Then I think of Hebrews 4:16, where He invites us to approach His throne with confidence. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have had MANY solo hours in the car driving to and from locations on Prefield. I used to just roll down the windows, blare out my music, and sing to the top of my lungs. Now, that does happen some, especially towards the end of my trips when I am feeling like I need a bit more energy. However, I am finding that I long for that intimate time with God. My prayer life has probably never been stronger! I have hours of just God and I time. It has been so encouraging and has driven me to long more of Him. I visualize Him as my Abba Father. I had a very dear relationship with my dad and think of the loving care, the strength, the smile and twinkle in his eye when I did something that made him proud, the comfort when i scraped up my knee... I visualize my Abba Father the same way. Longing for me to run to Him with my every question and confusion. I visualize His loving arms around me as I run to Him after being bruised up emotionally and needing that loving touch of comfort and protection. I visualize His smile as I delight myself in Him more and more. This blog, though, has spurred some new thoughts and something that will definitely be explored the next time I enter into His presence in prayer! Thanks for the post! Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully I have discovered a God who is sooo much more of a Father to me than my own father was. If I had relied on my own experiences my view of God would be so stunted, God is far more in so many ways. He is an AWESOME God and yet He is so interested in my day to day activities, I have pictured myself standing in His presence, as Ester stood in the presence of her king, but instead of standing with my head bowed stood with my head up looking at my God, now that was trully an Awesome, liberating experience.
    Now I'm going to picture myself talking with God, because I just know that is going to revolutionise my prayer life.
    Thanks for sharing Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all encourage me - how blessed we are to be in this Family.

    ReplyDelete