Monday, August 25, 2014

Swimming with the grands….or Pride goeth before a depression!


Our son just moved his family a little closer to us, and of course, they needed us to come help unpack and be helpful. Naturally we hit the road last weekend and again this weekend. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that they have our youngest grandchildren still at home: Tommy is six and Adrienne is seven…and then they have a swimming pool too.  If you know me at all well, you know I love the water.  And when Jessica asked me if I would like to keep the kids occupied in the pool, so she could work, it took me seconds to get into my suit.

Little Tommy had been struggling to eat, and his mom, wise lady that she is, asked him how he was feeling, whether he was overwhelmed by the move and all the stuff in boxes and the changes.  It was so cool to hear him say yes, and watch her talk with him and comfort him, helping him put into words how he was feeling.
It made me think about how much pain and grief we carry around because we either can’t bring ourselves to admit it, does pride figure in here? Or, we won’t or can’t act on the good counsel we get?

I know that when I get down or anxious, it is because I am forgetting who I am - a child of God. He so moved in my life that I would hear the good news, that God loved me so much He sent His Son to suffer for my sins. He redeemed me, paying my sin debt.  The big thing though is God loves me.  And because He loves me, His plan is for my good and not evil…so even when things look not so good, the outcome will be good, for me.  Perhaps I will grow and learn from the painful experience and be able to minister to others, or perhaps I will be reminded that I am never out of God’s sight.
Little Tommy listened to his mom, accepted her comfort and hug, and ran off much lighter. I wonder how many times we never tell God our troubles, or never accept His comfort and hugs, sometimes given through His children.  Then that pride leads right down to depression and feeling miserable.

Note: I am not saying this is the cause of all depression, but I fear a whole lot of us feel miserable when we don’t have to and shouldn’t.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment