Monday, September 15, 2014

It just got to me!! starting with Miley Cyrus!


Did you ever have something that bothered you, but you thought it was just you, so you talked yourself out of saying anything about it out loud? Well, I did, and I almost passed on it this time again, until I felt like God was telling me to just sit down and write it out.  So here I am.
OK, the first thing that I want to write about is all these pictures with people sticking their tongues out.   Several months ago you could not escape photos of Miley Cyrus and her tongue, and I think most people would have said that it was over the top, all about sex and being sexy and not for any kind of right motives except to sexually arouse the viewer. The problem is we are more influenced by the media that we would like to think.

Right after that, it seemed to me a rash of selfies flooded facebook with Christians sticking their tongues out.  Honestly, I don’t find any picture of anyone much out of infancy cute with their tongue out.  And I am not sure that adults, even teenagers, sticking their tongues out do it to be cute.  Isn’t it more like there is some underlying, or not so underlying, desire to be seen as sexy? To be thought of as sexy? My problem is that I can’t find it anywhere in the Bible that we are to be just generally seen as sexy….aren’t we supposed to be godly, reflecting His image, not some perverted kind of our own image.
That takes me to my second pet peeve: Christians posting things about their hot boyfriend or husband or girlfriend.  Of all the things we should share about our loved one, I just can’t see how sharing on facebook that we see them as hot is a good thing. Isn't that one of those things we tell them in private? Do we really want the world to know that the best we can do is to say that he or she is sexually attractive – so much so that this is the way we want the rest of the world to see them.  Are we bragging and competing about hotness?  Do we really want the rest of the world to think of him or her as a sexual being before they think of this person as a godly one?

Maybe I am over the hill, but I just can’t see it as a good thing, to stimulate others into thoughts of a sexual nature when the world is doing such a good job at it!  I always thought we were to stimulate others to good works.
End of today’s pet peeves/ concerns…you don’t have to agree….these are just my thoughts on something that bothered me till I had to say something about it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment