Thursday, December 8, 2011

Healing! December 8, 2011

Hosea 11:3-4a I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them. I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love.

I find it hard to imagine it has been a month since I wrote here, even though it has been a challenging month - recovery and therapy from my knee surgery, Thanksgiving, and then a cold that settled in my throat and, like every one else with a cold, took a toll on my energy level.  But here I am, attempting to get on paper a bit of what God has been doing in my life.

 I had been doing some teaching on the work of the Spirit, that God the Spirit loves us and wants to engage with us in this life.  Then a couple of days ago, as I got out of bed, the Spirit of God laid a particular student on my heart, and I believe God was saying, "Give him some money." I remember thinking, "Hmmm, now how is that going to happen?" but I was game.   I got in to work, and guess who showed up at a neighboring counter within a very few minutes?  Do you think God was hinting?

I cannot tell you what fun it was to go out and tuck the money in his hand.  He asked me why and I said "Cuz God told me, and when God tells me to do something I really do try to do it."
He walked away muttering, but it was so worth it.

Then today's reading: it was part of a read through the Bible thing, and it so blessed my heart, especially as one who has been healing physically that I wanted to share it with you.  I love the "they knew not that I healed them" part.  It would be normal to say that Dr. Henzes fixed my knee, or it healed because I did sweat through all that physical therapy - ending each session with two or three 5 minute miles on the Exercycle, but I know better.

Just as  God heals us physically, sometimes using doctors and exercise, He heals us spiritually. Yes, I did have to  have surgery and I did have to  do PT, but God did the knitting together of my body. And God does the knitting together of our soul if we do our PT, meaning prayer therapy, and CT, communication therapy - made up of listening to Him communicate through His whole Word and OT - occupational therapy, where we put feet to His commands.

When I was especially miserable and a bit "drug befuddled" post surgery, I satisfied myself with a verse or two and reading a meditation.  As I got more clear-headed, and made time to really read chunks of Scripture, my heart healed - not just to being satisfied, but to be filled with praise and real joy.

Well, that's all a bit rambling, but I just wanted to share what God's been doing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment