Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2, 2012 Starting Right!!

Joshua 1: 9 Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.


Ephesians 6: 10 Finally be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.

Yesterday in church, Pastor Richards used the first eleven verses of Joshua, and as he read it, and I read it, it struck me that the Israelites were cautioned to be strong and courageous because they would need to be so. Then we find very similar words in Ephesians 6:10, Be strong. In verse 12, we learn why: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers , against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces in heavenly places.

No wonder we are cautioned to be strong...and courageous. We face some fearsome enemies. However, I love verse 11 in Ephesians 6: Put on the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. When you read schemes, think trickeries, deceitful plans, ambushes, lies, or an organized plan that could result in our downfall.

Now, what struck me first in Joshua was that God honors our obedience. When we are strong and courageous and actively trusting Him, we will "have success wherever you go," Joshua 1: 7. In both Joshua and in the New Testament, we find admonitions to read and learn and meditate on the Word of God, for then you will make your way prosperous and have success and be equipped for every good work, II Tim. 3:17.

I know there are believers who function as if God owes them something because they have "believed in Him." I remember former students saying God had called them to BBC and God would provide, but they did little themselves, giving up too easily.

As I think about this next year, I am reminded that it will not be an easy year, every day, filled with only blessings that I recognize as such. If God calls me to be strong and courageous, it is because He wants me prepared for what is coming. Courageous makes me think that it takes energy and determination to do what is ahead, to work hard. Courageous reminds me that I must take care not to get lured into the easy or pleasant way, but to keep my head up, to keep Him in the right place as my leader, knowing He will never lead me where He will not keep me. The going may get tough, but if I am obedient to Him, if I do pursue Him, through His Word, and walk by faith, not only is success is available, but God desires me to have love, joy and peace.... as well. Gal.5: 22-25.

No comments:

Post a Comment