Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday – June 17 You are supposed to enjoy weddings?


I am so sad to say that it took this long to really enjoy a wedding.  My grandson Jesse, the one I saw born and my husband baptized, got married to Kate Saturday, and it was the most relaxing wedding I ever attended.
I confess that I was working full-time during the wedding months of all of our children and grandchildren, and it was just plain hard to enjoy the celebrations.  It is tough enough for any woman to work full-time and balance being a wife and mom (and grandmom), but to be part of a wedding too, well, I never managed to do it with any kind of relaxation.  Somehow you had to think of the event for starters (and that means praying a lot for the soon-to-be wedded couple).

And you have to think of and purchase the right wedding gift(s). I love gift shopping and I want to choose thoughtfully, imagining how the couple will be blessed by the gift(s), how I will be adding to their nest.
Then there is the cooking or baking part. I don’t care whether you have it catered or not, we haven’t, there is extra cooking.  And I love it.  I love to cook and bake for any family celebration.  But it requires extra shopping and planning and time to create the masterpieces. 

All of that to say, for the last thirty years, it was tough for me to really relax and enjoy a wedding.  But this wedding, Jesse and Kate’s, I was retired. I did not have to plan or shop or bake or cook around anything else.  It was just so much fun!!!!! 
The fact that they were married in the backyard of the house Jesse grew up in, the fact that Kate wanted simple – no big wedding party, no crowd in attendance, no special music, just family and a picnic, also helped.  But I do believe, a big part of what made it possible to really enter into the celebration was retirement, and of course knowing they both love God and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment