Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I gotta confess!!

 
 Well, here goes…all those great photos I have used recently are borrowed. There it is, my confession.  I have not figured out how to take a photo with my camera or phone and somehow magically get it into my blog.  So, I go to google images and search for a suitable image, one that comes closest to being appropriate to illustrate the point I want to make.  The coffee table I used yesterday looks exactly like mine – shape and color, but it is not a before or an after shot of the real thing.  I used it to show you what I was doing so you had the right image in your mind.  The sewing machine is a little Singer and as close to an image of mine as I could find.

 And last week, when I wrote about art journaling, the ones I chose to illustrate the blog that day were not my creations.  Again, I went to google images to find images that would give you an idea of what art journaling could look like – because honestly, if my daughter did not create art journals or altered books, I would never have heard about them or known what they looked like.

As an English teacher I knew about copyrights and about citing your resources, but somehow I had the idea that if google images came up with an image I wanted, it was free for all and I could use it.  I did not think about the reality that those images came off from articles posted on the web, that they belonged to someone else.  They were free and I was not going to make any money using them…and I was wrong.  I do need to cite where they came from…so please forgive me for misleading you.  Though I meant well, it was improper, and I hope to do better.

So, about yesterday, I tried something different for my devotional time with God.  I dug up an old hymnal and sang my way through it, the old hymns that I grew up loving.  I am sure it would have been painful for anyone else to hear, but I am certain that my Abba Father received it with the love I sent it with.  As I leafed through the pages of “The New Church Hymnal” of 1976, I found this wonderful hymn written by my husband’s great uncle, Alfred A. Ackley. He and his brother traveled with Billy Sunday and together and separately, they wrote many beautiful old hymns.

 Since you probably don’t have an old hymnal lying around, here is a copy of that page, courtesy of www.hymnary.org   and taken from The New Church Hymnal 1976.  I must tell you that it was a wonderful half hour, and if you grew up in a hymn singing church, you might want to try it out as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment