Saturday, August 31, 2013

It doesn’t take much!!


 To make me happy!!! 
 
I love fresh vegetables – the kind that just came to the famers’ market from the garden with dirt on still.  You can smell the freshness and anticipate the crisp flavors: spinach for soup and salad, and the anticipation of turning onions and eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash, red and green peppers, and plump red tomatoes into savory ratatouille.  Gazpacho, I even love its Spanish name – chop up some cucumbers and green peppers, a sweet onion and a tomato and cram the rest into the blender or food processer.  Flavor it with a little extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar and it is the best salad in a dish – garnished with the reserved chopped veggies. 

 
The round green cabbage will wait a day or two, but halupki ( slice some of the cabbage fine and fry it in butter with some sliced onions and toss it with fresh cooked noodles) will find its way into the menu, and then stuffed cabbage leaves – and make an extra dish to freeze, and I love fresh homemade coleslaw – with mayo and pineapple.     
                   
An ear of corn isolated on a white background Stock Photo - 10797807And the corn – oh, we will roast some for dinner, but I am planning on the extra for black bean and corn salad (with some red and green pepper for color) a dressing with a little lime juice and olive oil…one of Jim’s favorites.
I looked at the apples today, but forced myself to be reasonable – the season is only at the front end right now – plenty of time to make applesauce – the easy way, in the crockpot.

Jim asked me why I was washing the empty jars, and I told him, “So I can fill them.”  Isn’t this part of retirement, being a grandma, “putting up the harvest,” even if I didn’t plant, nurture or harvest it. 
 
Thank you God for beautiful food and the joy of making wonderful things with it !

       (images from 123RF Stock Photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment