Friday, January 3, 2014

New Resolutions! Or Not?

Day 3

Every year the gyms across America are jammed, new memberships and renewed memberships at this time of year. Diet and exercise books fly off the shelves, and resolutions mark new aspirations and the celebration of a second chance, kind of a “do-over.”
As I was read today’s entry in A Year With God, the prayer at the bottom of the page caught my attention: “Father God, so often I prefer to dwell on everything in my life that I would like to change rather than thanking you for all of the blessings you have given me and my family.”

The prayer goes on, but it was those few words that really caught my attention. Instead of marking the beginning of the year with the making of new resolutions that too quickly fall by the wayside and lead to discouragement and a sense of failure, (I heard yesterday that fewer than 10% of new resolutions actually are carried through) there has to be a better way.
And perhaps this is it, as Ann Voskamp encourages in One Thousand  Gifts and and Oatman and Excell write in the beloved hymn “Count Your Blessings,” we should give greater attention to the blessings that God has given us than what we do not have or are not.  I wonder which would make the greatest difference and change in our outlook – the New Year's resolution or the acknowledgement of the blessings we already have.

Another line in the meditation, “God calls Abram into relationship, and life with God begins anew.”  Wow, what a thought!! Relationship with God, a new life!!  I wonder what a difference that could make, cultivating the awareness that we are in relationship with God; we have a new life. 

Dramatic sun flare lights a snow scene on a bright winter day in Alaska Stock Photo - 9487263
The sun is shining brilliantly today, sparkling diamonds in the snow, glowing golden beside me, shadows of the wind invisible in the air but dancing across the cushions, God at His easel.  Inspiring writers, of Genesis thousands of years ago, and Foster and Roller in this century, God at His desk encouraging me.  My family, warm in their homes, food in their cupboards, God the provider blessing me.  I thank Him this morning!

photo from http://www.123rf.com/photo_

No comments:

Post a Comment