Friday, January 10, 2014

Where is he?


The author writes, “Do we see God  as a presence comfortably within reach, as a mysterious presence whose power is fearful, or as a presence we know through our study of what is right and wrong?” The passage for the day is from I Kings 8: 10-13, but I read the whole chapter.
At the time Solomon is speaking in I Kings, God dwelt among men in a thick cloud in the Holy of Holies, a place God allowed Solomon to build.  The text says that there was a thick darkness or cloud, such that the priests had to leave; they could no longer perform their services.

I can see that in my mind, the darkness and perhaps even a stinging of their eyes, certainly a sense of the auspicious, and perhaps fear.  But today God dwells in us.  I have long loved and been comforted by the gospel of John, and these verses especially bless and challenge me this morning:
John 14: 15-17  If you love me, you will obey what I command.  And I will ask the Father and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth.  The world cannot accept him because it neither sees him nor know him.  But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

John 14: 25-26 All this I have spoken while still with you.  But the Counselor , the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things, and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
How blessed we are to have the indwelling Spirit of God to teach us, to help us recognize right from wrong, ever present. Those God-believers of Solomon’s time must have felt so alone, dependent on the priest to take care of their sins.  We can do business with God whenever we want wherever we are.

I think of the times that I have felt alone, and today I can be tough on myself – foolish you, you were never really alone.  God never left you!  But I do admit to being weak, and in some tough circumstances forgetting that I am never alone.  The Comforter is ever with me to teach me, to bring to my mind what I need for the moment.
I think about how easy it is for me to be critical of Christian worriers; after all, they have God the Holy Spirit too, God who loves them…and worry never accomplished anything good.  But honesty compels me to admit, that there are times that I too have fallen into that trap, building a darkness around me that causes me to forget truth: My God will never leave me nor forsake me.  He is always comfortably within reach.

quote in the first paragraph from A Year With God, Day 10.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment