Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I think I am still a little high...please don't misinterpret that.  This past weekend we celebrated the marriage of our son Jim's oldest daughter Ametheny to Austin Crawford, and even if she is our Ametheny, there could not have been a lovelier bride or wedding. God granted us a beautiful day in a beautiful setting with wonderful family and friends to share it with.  Grandpa King, my hubby, performed the ceremony and Grandpa Crawford blessed them in prayer at the end of the ceremony.

Yesterday we came home and today I am back at my routine, Bible study here in my home office, and I love how God speaks through our routine with Him.  That brings us to the words of Frederick Buechner below, part of this day's meditation.

“To worship God means to serve God.  Basically there are two ways to do it.  One way is to do things for God that God needs to have done – run errands for God, carry messages for God, fight on God’s side, feed God’s lambs, and so on.
The other way is to do things for God that you need to do—sing songs for God. Create beautiful things for God, give things up for God, tell God what’s on your mind and in your heart, in general rejoice and make a fool for yourself the way lovers have always made fools of themselves for the ones they love.” Frederick Buechner, Beyond Words                                                                                     

I am not saying that Ametheny and Austin or any of the rest of us made fools of our selves Sunday as we celebrated with them, but we sure did our share of rejoicing...and you could not wipe the smiles off from their faces.  I could not help thinking that's the way we ought to be feeling today and every day, so aware of God's love for us, and so loving Him back that you cannot alter our joy or our expressions of that joy.

I have to say here that it is true that even believers go through valleys of pain, but we do not go through them alone, and it  is the days of rejoicing that enable us to come back out into the light.

Paul wrote these words in Philippians 4: "...whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, if there be any praise, think on these things....and the God of peace shall be with you."

I think this passage and the joy of the wedding and their love is an example, a picture of God's endless love and commitment to us, and I am encouraged...and maybe a little high this morning, if I can use that expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment