Friday, November 20, 2009

Giving it up

Funny all the difference two little letters can make: the difference between giving up and giving it up.  God calls us to give it all up, our will to him.  In Luke 22:42, Christ modeled this for us, this yielding of his will to the Father's, all the more notable because, though he was here the incarnated Christ, he was still God.

Now I don't fully understand that, but it's OK.  He's God, how could I, a human, expect here to understand God? but I do believe it, that Jesus, though fully God assumed humanity, so that he could pay my sin debt. 
That's what faith is: believing what we do not have physical evidence for, taking someone, here God, at his word.

'Yet, I want your will, not mine."  Those are the words Christ prayed to the Father, and think about it, Jesus knew what he was saying.  He knew the nightmare yet to come - the humiliation, the trial, the cross, and he said "It's Ok with me.  I want whatever you want for me.  I trust you, regardless of what that means."

So the constant challenge for me is to pray that prayer, to give it all up to Him.  Sometimes that is really hard.  As a parent, there have been many times when I prayed asking God for specific things for each of my children and grandchildren. Then came the decision, am I really able or even wanting to say, "Not my will, but your will, because I trust that you know better than I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment