Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Heaven

I used to avoid thinking about heaven - I knew too little, and heaven meant death mostly - mine to get there unless Christ did return.  And the reality of Christ's imminent return pressed on me as a young person; we were reminded of it often, or at least it seemed that way.  Maybe that was because I was learning everything for the first time (we do need to relearn many things because we don't really get it all the first time, but that's another issue), and it was all so new that it made a big impression on me.  So, I lived for many years with the idea that Christ might come that day....then people stopped talking about it and the idea and much thought about heaven kind of slid into the background.

That said, recently I have been thinking more about heaven.  I always thought that when I died, or Christ returned, His brilliance would be so great that I would fall on my knees and cover my face.  After all how could I possibly look at God....in the face...?

And that was pretty much it....no more thoughts.  Well, almost no more thoughts.  From time-to-time, when a loved one was threatened by death or a friend died or the parent or grandparent of a student died, I would think about heaven and their relief from this world and its pain.  Certainly we would miss them, but wishing them back was all too selfish.  How could I want them back here with all of the pain in this world, when they could be safe in Jesus presence - no more pain?  And I always thought about physical pain.

But heaven is more than a relief from physical or emotional pain.  Lately, I've been thinking about how heaven is relief from all evil, from temptation, from what Paul calls "that sin which dwells in my flesh."  I can scarcely imagine what it would be like to continue life, glorified life, without ever being tempted.  That part of me that responds to sinful impulses, like everything from envy or covetouness of someone else's goods or place in life, to hatred of those who hurt me or those I love, or jealousy, or a desire for revenge, or dissatisfaction, that desire for more....of anything.  It will all be gone.

Think of it.  We will wake up in that place where no sin dwells, where that burden, that inclination to be tempted no longer exists for us.  When I think of that for very long, I feel like, with that weight gone I will truly be able to fly.  I will finally know what pure joy and pleasure is.  I will be able to enjoy all people and all situations.  I will not have regret or sorrow controlling me.  I will be able to sing without worrying about what anyone thinks because with our minds free from sin, we will all want only to worship and glorify and serve God unconditionally.  It is then and there that I will understand and appreciate true beauty.

So, I've been thinking about and anticipating heaven in a way never before.

Then I am drawing to Galatians and the fruit of the Spirit and what is possible for us even in this world...but that's for another day,

No comments:

Post a Comment