Friday, February 14, 2014

Teach me how!



February 14
“O, most merciful God incline your loving ears to our prayers, and illuminate the hearts of those called by you, with the grace of the Holy Spirit, that they may be enabled worthily to minister to your mysteries, and to love you with an everlasting love, and to attain everlasting joys; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen”  Charlemagne

They say you cannot write if you are not a reader, and I have come to understand why.  We need examples of how beautifully words can be used.  And I have also come to understand that it is easier to pray when you listen, or read, the prayers of other people.
It has been well over thirty years since I listened to Howard Horton pray in church, not as the pastor, but as a layman, praying out loud in church.  For all the world, it sounded as though I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two cherished friends.  It was so beautiful and intimate and real – no artificiality, just an exchange between two people who knew each other very well.

Then today, I read the words of Charlemagne’s prayer, written and prayed over 1200 years ago, and I was struck with the beauty of it and the simplicity and I wondered if we cheat ourselves when we do not immerse ourselves in the prayers of other believers.  Like writers learn from other writers, could we who pray, not learn from others who pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment