Sunday, January 24, 2010

Falling Seven Times

Right now our pastor is going through a series on “Modern Questions: Ancient Wisdom” focusing on applications in the book of Proverbs. We have also been challenged to read through Proverbs this month – the appropriate chapter for the day. All that to say, I read Proverb 24 today, and though all of it had value, verse 16 struck a chord for me today.
Proverbs 24:16 For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again, but the wicked stumble in the time of calamity.

A righteous man falls seven times, hmmm. A righteous man falls. A righteous man falls.

Recently I had a conversation with someone who questioned her righteousness, her value or usefulness to God since she had just made a series of poor choices, sinful choices, and had fallen over and over again. I encouraged her with reminders of a number of people in Scripture who had fallen, yet who had been used by God.

I’m sure David comes to your mind as readily as he did mine – called a man after God’s own heart, he had also fallen into adultery, conspired to bring about a man’s death, and in general, failed as a leader. And Peter, he denied Christ three times, and we could talk about Paul, who was a follower of God, as he knew him, and brought about great persecution of believers before he met God face-to-face along a dirt road .

It would be one thing if these men had fallen and stayed down, wallowing in discouragement and guilt. As some have, they could have figured that since they had already failed, their identity was sealed, and they might as well live the life of the unredeemed prodigal enjoying their sin. But they didn’t. They got up and tried it again.

I wonder if this verse gives us the test of whether a man or woman is righteous, whether his or her faith is real. Not does he fail? Because this verse assumes that the righteous man will fall or fail, but does he or she get up again? Every time? The proverb describes a righteous man having fallen seven times getting up again each time. The implication is that every time, the righteous man attempts to get it right, to live a holy life. The righteous man is not a quitter.

The latter part of the verse says that the wicked stumble in calamity. When the wicked or unredeemed or lost person falls into an unpleasantness, mischief or evil situation, he stumbles, falls down, and the key here is the missing words: he doesn’t rise again.

Oh God, I thank you that you don’t count me out when I fall, but that you extend your hand of mercy and forgiveness, and you lift me up. I reflect on all the times that I have fallen, and instead of wallowing in self-pity, I am overwhelmed with your mercy and kindness. I am encouraged and rejoice in that blessed hope of one more chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment