Monday, January 25, 2010

Heaven - think it will be boring?

I can remember not being all that excited about heaven. I mean I sure didn't want to go to hell, but heaven just seemed kind of boring. What would there be to do? I know there would be all these great people to see, but I knew I wouldn't even get close to the really cool people. Then, you can only say"Hello," and "I'm really glad your here," just so long before that gets boring. With all of eternity ahead, I just couldn't figure out what I would do.  So, I kind of stopped thinking about it. Is that OK to confess?


Then it occurred to me that in heaven I would have no sin dwelling in my flesh, so all of my perspectives about everything would be different. Sin and boredom wouldn't be an issue because I wouldn't be able to sin; that part of me would be gone.  I thought about that for a while, then kind of stopped thinking about heaven for a while again.

Then, yesterday, in church, we had what was to me the most wonderful time of worship in song...not new songs, but perhaps it was the sequence, the grouping of these particular worship songs.

We sang Father, Spirit, Jesus. Here are the words:

Lord, the worship we bring
Is more than songs that we sing
It’s a reflection of our ever-changing lives
The best we have to offer

We don’t just lift up our hands
Lord, we lift up our lives
For we know that You are worthy of our praise
To You our lifesongs raise

Rescued from darkness
We are walking in marvelous light
For we are children of the King!
SING!

You are worthy of all honor
Glory, praise and power
King of the nations
You are holy God almighty
Clothed in brilliant majesty
Father, Spirit, Jesus

Then we sang Glory to God Forever. It goes like this:

Before the world was made
before you spoke it to be
You were the King of Kings
yeah you were, yeah you were

And now you’re reigning still
enthroned above all things
Angels and saints cry out
we join them as we sing

Chorus
Glory to God, Glory to God
Glory to God, Forever

Verse 2
Creator God you gave
me breath so I could praise
Your great and matchless name
all my days, all my days
So let my whole life be
a blazing offering
A life that shouts and sings
the greatness of the King

Bridge
Take my life and let it be
All for you and for your glory
Take my life and let it be yours

The beautiful worship continued as we sang Spirit of the Living God and finished with O, The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus.

O the Deep, deep love of Jesus
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean
In its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me,
Is the current of Your love
Leading onward, leading homeward
To Your glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus!
Spread His praise from shore to shore,
How His love is never-ending,
And it changes nevermore;
How He watches o’er His loved ones,
Died to call them all His own;
How for them He’s interceding,
Watching o’er them from the throne.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus!
Love of ev’ry love the best:
‘Tis an ocean vast of blessing,


As I was singing, all I could think of was this: Heaven, I think heaven will be like this. I felt such a sweetness, such a love flowing from my heart to God's...all I wanted to do was to honor him, and the lyrics of these songs seemed to be the words that best expressed my heart.

When that part of the service was over, I almost had the sense of not wanting anything else. I had tasted heaven in those moments of sharing in the worship through singing with my community of believers.

So, now when I think of heaven, it is not with dread, nor thoughts or fear of boredom, it is with appetite. I will get to be part of the heavenly choir praising my God, and I will never tire of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment