Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Friendship: with God?

Billy Graham said, "It's not only to resolve our problems that we should pray, but to share in the strength of God's friendship."

I don't know about you but the idea that we could be friends with God is astonishing.  And the  very idea made me wonder what Scripture said about the topic.

Did you know that Job mentioned friendship with God?  In Job 29: 4 we find Job speaking these words: As I was in the prime of my days, when the friendship of God was over my tent." 

I looked up the word friendship here and it has the sense of company of a friend, and by implication - intimacy and counsel.  What an amazing experience Job has personally with God; Job was aware of this relationship, this intimacy with God, the presence of God close over  him, in protection, at close hand for counsel.

Then in John, we find Christ speaking to the disciples and by extension to us, again offering us the possibility of friendship, of his close counsel and presence and intimacy in John 15:13 and 14:  Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command you....
And what did Jesus command them?  To love him and to love one another!!!
Let me quote from verses 16 and 17.... I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit....This I command you, that you love one another.

So, Jesus, God, wants friendship with me, and you.  He wants us to know that he is right here, ready with counsel for us when we need it.  He is the friend who will never betray us, the friend who will always understand and will be patient with us as we try to get it right.  He is the friend who is quick to forgive when we mess up.  He is the friend who always waits with open arms when we get off track, giving ourselves to false friends.  He is ready with bandages and caresses and kisses, to make us feel better when we hurt, whether we have brought the pain on ourselves or it has been inflicted by another.

How beautiful are the words of Job, words we can own: the friendship of God is over my dwelling place.  What a place of strength is my prayer time in that dwelling place (wherever I am - he is in that place, that dwelling place).  That intimate conversation with my friend Jesus, and with that reminder of his friendship, oh sweet presence of God, what on earth do I have to fear?!

No comments:

Post a Comment