Friday, January 15, 2010

God: concerned about my life?

Isn't it amazing how we ignore the reality of God as a friend, as someone who has and does love us sacrificially and unconditionally and, even more amazing, personally?  Oh, we know those things intellectually and as theological facts, but as a personal reality?

This morning in my reading I came across these words written by Dallas Willard in his book The Divine Conspiracy: "Prayer is a matter of explicitly sharing  with God my concerns about what he too is concerned about in my life."  The bold emphasis is mine.

I don't know why, but those words stopped me cold - making me think or rehearse what God might be concerned about in my life.  Well, he is probably concerned with how easily I am distracted from the daily reading of his word and prayer time.  I confess, I have great intentions, but it only takes a change in my schedule to throw those things off.  It is not that he cares about me rigidly adhering to a schedule, but he is concerned about our daily fellowship.  I think has is as concerned about our communication as I am about communication with my children, and moreso.

I think he is concerned about my priorities - what do I allow to have a higher priority than representing him, than being his ambassador? Than loving him back?  Where does he rank in my decision making?  In how I think about spending my money or time or possessions?

I am concerned today about my brother's health, about my baby grandson's health, about my grandchildren's decisons about college for this next year.  I am concerned about the wife of a graduate who is in a coma and the bother of a student who is in a coma.  I am concerned about three students we disciplined this week - not about their response - all of that went well, but about other repercussions from the situation.  I am concerned about when I am going toget my next class written and what to do with some other manuscripts I have. 

Well, you see only a few things that I am concerned about, and God is concerned about them as well because he is concerned about my life and loves me.  He is concerned about how I deal with these concerns.  Do I take them to him and trust him with them?  Do I worry myself sick about them?  Do I try to handle them or manipulate any of these circumstances myself, not consulting him? 

Thinking about the reality that he is concerned about me makes me think how really personal a relationship is possible with him, how really personal he wants it to be.

Oh God, help me to bless you today, not add to the weight of your concern for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment