Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 2 Having an Inside Track

Psalm 119:98-100 Your commands make wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.

I've always said, "Get it in there, then the Holy Spirit will have something to work with." I think that is the point of Psalm 119 - read the Word, memorize it, meditate on it, do whatever you can to get it from your short term memory into your long term memory, so that in time of need, God can bring to your mind what you need.

When I was ten my church had a program to earn your way to camp free - memorize and recite 100 selected verses. That exercise has formed the basis of my Christian life - when I am discouraged God brings to mind, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." I did memorize it in the old King James version. And I love the beauty and the foundation of my faith in John 1:1-14, filled with so much theology and emotion - "He came unto his own and his own received him not." How tragic is that?!!! Verse 12, "As many as received him to them gave He power to become the sons of God even to them that believe on His name."

And John 14 - so much here, from our future - He is preparing a place a place for me after this life. What hope!!! and I have long been comforted by verses 26 and 27 of that chapter, " But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring into your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

We do have an inside track on a life of peace and joy, the inside track is the Word of God firmly planted in our hearts, so that when temptation and pain arrive, we are ready. The Holy Spirit has lots of ammunition to equip us for the fray.

No comments:

Post a Comment