Friday, May 27, 2011

May 27 Turning Our Backs on God

I Kings 11:4 As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.

Not fully devoted - powerful words! OK, I'm going to be transparent here... I have been a Christ-follower since I was eight-years-old. I confess that what that looked like varied over the years, as I grew to understand more and more of what pleased God and as I personally walked closer to and then farther from and back to God.

A couple of weeks ago, Jim and I had an opportunity to speak at a convention for home school parents and students. It was a powerful day as we wandered among shopping parents, some in the colorless or calico garb that reflected their faith tradition; others in smart stylish dress and still others in long denim skirts with hip-length hair. Since then, I have been reconsidering what it means to be fully devoted to God comparing my walk to that of these women, in particular. Not always a good thing, but sometimes a very good thing.

I do realize that clothing does not tell the complete heart story, but many of these families have chosen to separate themselves from the world and its influences to protect their children, to protect themselves from the temptations of the world. Are they somehow more spiritual than me because of their what we might call sacrifices - living a life-style not dissimilar from that of our grandparents or great-grandparents?

Of course not! But it does cause me to reflect on how fully devoted I am to God, what I might be willing to sacrifice for my faith, for my God. Solomon was drawn away from his first love by the influence of his wives. What influences do I have in my life that could draw me away from being fully devoted? What good things might distract me from the best? And what does the best look like?

I have been reading recently about other believers who chose to live monastic lives to give God more influence in their lives and to show Him their dedication to Him. How does such separation balance with a call to be light in darkness - how close to the darkness must or should we get to be light? And does isolation or complete separation from the world make our light brighter or less visible? Do we then become objects of derision rather than light? You can tell I am thinking out loud here.

David messed up, but he wept over his sin. Oh God, help me to choose rightly those who influence me, and may you be my first and primary influence. Then, I pray, that you will help me to be light, to be fully devoted to you, by loving those around me in your Name as you first loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment