Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31 Fully Devoted

I Kings 14: 23- 24 And Judah did evil in the sight of the LORD, and they provoked him to jealousy with their sins which they had committed, above all that their fathers had done. For they also built them high places, and images, and groves, on every high hill, and under every green tree.

I have been thinking about that phrase ever since last week..and then when I discovered my devotional was still at home this morning I decided to focus on the daily Bible passage that comes to my email. Very relevant it seems to me, in reflection of what it means top be fully devoted. And then there is the focus our church has for the next six weeks - on what it means to walk as a believer, one who loves God and whose life fully reflects that relationship, in particular our concern for others, and our willingness to sacrifice for their good.

My husband has always believed and practiced Ephesians 4: 28 : Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with [his] hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

We work to pay our bills, to serve God through the gifts and talents He has given us, but also so that we have enough to give to the needy...not so that we have enough to live a luxurious life style. OF course, the way most Americans live would be called luxurious by much of the rest of the world - after all - we have a closet full of clothes and shoes and cupboards full of food - to say nothing of our houses of many rooms. But I digress.

Being completely devoted - think of those you love, parents, mates, children, and how much of your decision making revolves around your love and devotion for them. Then think, and I am speaking to myself, how much of our decision making revolves around our love for God AND our love for one another....because that is what He calls us to, and being devoted to Him means also devoted to the well-being of others.

Judah had the high places and images and groves which completely distracted them from God. Today I am wondering what my high places and images and groves are that distract me from being completely devoted to God and His children.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my mother's birth. I know she readily sacrificed much so that I could have - whether it was an outfit or go to college. To my shame, I think, I know too little of sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment