Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5 Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

Psalm 139:13-16 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eye saw my unformed body.

I love the terms woven together. Can you see the threads, the warp and the woof, of your life? Where did the genes come from that determine your height, your build? How about your facial structure or the color of your eyes? Then consider how far back you have to do to find the ancestor who made a decision that caused your parents and then you to be born where you were....thus affecting perhaps your accent and your biases. Think about your heritage - the grandparents and extended family and how their choices have affected or influenced yours. All of those thread carefully woven together before you were born to design the beautiful fabric of your life, to borrow a cliche.

For me, I think about my dad's passion for untamed territory, the mountains and beautiful streams running over broad rock beds. Would I love them so much were I born of a "city feller?" Then my dad was a town guy, and I don't know how he came to love the freedom of the country, but he did love it. I think of my mother, raised as a lady, raising her daughters to be polite "ladies."

I watched my mother knit beautiful sweaters, works of art, so I think of God as He carefully knits us together - like my mother's sweaters, intended for beauty and purpose. And like my mother's sweaters, there is no thread in there by accident; each thread has a purpose, to make us more compassionate, more merciful, to make us able to speak or teach or write or cook or lead, to enable us to glorify and serve God.

We are created in God's image as creators, and He does not make junk when he weaves us all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment