Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April 13 Open to God's Discipline

II Samuel 16:11-12 Leave him alone; let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. It may be that the LORD will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today.

Nobody, generally, is all that anxious to be rebuked, to have shortcomings pointed out. Conversely, we all want to be commended. David was willing to hear Shimei's words, to listen to them, and there is a difference. Though we may easily hear someone's rebuke or correction, whether we allow that it might be from God or not, it is not so easy to listen....to hear with the willingness to give attention to it.

At school here, there is regular assessment: of your classes, your teaching, your leadership, or your exercise of your responsibilities. Students are encouraged to give their opinion as are your superiors. Then comes the day the summary of the evaluation is laid in your hands. What do you do with it? Think that it is from college kids who know nothing about education or good teaching or test construction OR...consider that maybe God might be teaching you something through the kind words, or lack thereof in these evaluations.

I remember when we first got to Africa, most of the preaching was done in languages we did not know. My kids were just not sure about how valuable it was for them to sit through it all, but I in my great wisdom said this: You do understand the reference, or I will show it to you. You can read the passage and think about it, and allow God to help you find something of value there.

We also had this kind of conversation over chapel speakers or preachers from time to time - though they might not be the best speakers, or do the best exegesis or stick to the passage, if you are open to God's speaking to you, He will.

It all boils down to the difference between hearing and listening, reading and considering. Words can pass through your ears, or in front of your eyes, and no change is accomplished. Or you can listen and consider, think about what God might be communicating to you, and be moved into closer fellowship with Him.

A long time ago, someone stood behind me saying some awful things about me. I remember thinking I would not give them permission to influence how I thought, about them or myself. Today I would altar that a bit; I would listen to all the words, filter out what might have a kernel of truth and figure out what I should do in response, and disregard the rest.

Now, do I get it all the time? No....but I am making headway. How about you?

2 comments: