Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jan. 2Genesis 4:7 The problem of sin

"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted?  But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.

Two thoughts come to mind as I read Smith's entry; I will quote his words, then comment on them.

1. Good is only good if there is an opposite reality of evil from which good can be distinguished. It strikes me that this might be a valuable tool when making any decision.  I must consider the opposite choices and their consequences.  I know this is a simple illustration, but if I eat that leftover Christmas candy, what will happen to me?  If I chop it up and mix it into cookie dough for college students, what will happen?  And even eating the candy one at a time, the consequences are still the same.  Like only glancing at a picture or watching a movie or television program or ....fill in the blanks.  Even a little of something can be very wrong...so this year I need to cultivate the habit of always considering what the opposite reality of the tempting decision might be.

2.  Then these words struck me: How many times have we told ourselves, for example, "But I'm only human" or "Nobody's perfect."
It's a matter of identity.  Who am I, and why would I want to excuse or rationalize my behavior?  God calls me His child.  I'm not only human; I am a Christ-one, cleansed and redeemed and given purpose for life...to glorify God.  He picked me out of a crowd - to so order my life that I would hear and understand and believe the gospel.  I cannot use the excuse that I'm only human because I am not only human.  And it is important that I live out the rest of who I am.

In the passage today, we are told that sin is hanging out close by in our lives longing to own us, but we must master it.  And we can - we are not mere slaves to sin any more.  However, I must live aware that there is an enemy.  I must pay attention to my surroundings, alert to the possibilities so that I do what brings a smile to God's face.

2 comments:

  1. The Living Bible paraphrases 4:7 like this: "You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master."

    I am always reminded when I read this passage of Scripture that obedience boils down to MY choice. We expect children to be obedient with and not to give excuses. Yet, we excuse ourselves and rationalize our choices. If our decisions were always clear cut and obedient to God there would be no need to rationalize.

    When I find myself trying to rationalize a reason to do something, that is always a "Stop!" moment as I recognize that right choices don't need to be rationalized. They are right because they line up with God's Word, His character, and the Spirit's prompting.

    A friend of ours once pointed out that rationalize can also be used by Satan and turned in to 'rational lies' we tell ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smith's statement that "If, like Cain, we are called to 'master' sin, it must truly mean that we can" was challenging to me because I can often rationalize (Caryl, I like the way you put it as "rational lies") my actions and say "well...this is not as bas as what other people are doing - I don't drink, smoke or cheat on my husband. But God does not see sin in degrees and I shouldn't either.

    ReplyDelete