Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15 Choosing Your Battles

Genesis 34:31 "But they replied, "Should he have treated our sister like a prostitute?"

Just yesterday I had a conversation with a friend about the topic Smith addresses here and this passsage illustrates, and let me quote Smith: To act on principle virtually always requires careful consideration of more than just the obvious central issue....The tricky bit is knowing what the right thing is...and the right way to go about it.

Mrs. X's child was treated unjustly and unkindly - I mean the child was really abused in a game.  At some point, the child balanced the books, letting the abuser have it at the next opportunity in the game.  Mrs. X justified the action saying it is just not right to allow someone to beat on you.

I have to tell you that the first time I heard that story, from the person involved who really believed the right thing was done, I have been troubled.  Then yesterday the subject came up again when this friend told me about an occasions when another believer, well actually a few believers, didn't seem to behave in a loving and Christlike way at an athletic contest.  The onlookers challenged the intelligence and wisdom of athletes, coaches and players in voices loud and clearly heard by all present.

I was troubled at the time, and now my friend brought it up again.  Perhaps the calls were faulty.  Perhaps the  ref, coach or athlete did behave inappropriately, but I think about the principle here - is the athletic contest the principle issue, being treated well by everyone in the gym the principle issue, or is the principle issue making certain that the testimony of Christ is not blurred or damaged?

And what do we do about it?  I admit, I am troubled, and moreso because God brought it up again this morning.  So what do I do about it?  What do we do as believers when challenged in this way?  I had it explained, rationalized to me yesterday, but I am still troubled.

No, we don't appreciate being ill-treated, but Christ taught us to turn the other cheek.  The offender notices that kind of behavior - that it is unexpected, that perhaps there is something else going on here besides winning a game. 

For me, it goes back to God gives us lots of opportunities to represent him before the lost; we don't always get to pick them...and sometimes these opportunities, when used well, cost us.  I wonder if our problem is we don't want to pay.  I guess you can tell I am still wrestling with all of this.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve always told my boys that their environment, circumstances, or the behavior of other people should never determine their own response in a situation. Unfortunately, for many of us, athletic competitions often bring out uglier traits of pride, in-grouping/out-grouping, the depersonalization of others, the tendency towards mob mentality, and the desire for power and domination, instead of reveling in the potential of these incredible bodies that God has given us.

    That being said, I do believe that it is possible and even necessary to speak up for social justice; but, only in a way that displays both integrity and love, motivated by the desire to serve the well-being and potential for growth for all involved parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - it's really difficult to respond in a patient way when it seems like I (or people I care about) am not being treated fairly.

    Stories like Dinah's make me think about revenge, too. Is it ever right to get back at someone who's wronged me? Even when there's nothing I can do, I have to control my attitude. Holding a grudge or despising someone in my heart only hurts ME in the long run.

    ReplyDelete