Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January 26 Trusting in God's Deliverance

Exodus 14:13-14 Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today...The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

Moses told the Israelites that they should not allow fear to control them. Rather they should find comfort in God's promises, that he will fight for them; he would deliver them. OK, that was his message for Israel thousands of years ago; what about for me today?

These words in Exodus made me think of the following passages in Hebrews:

Hebrews 11:1-2 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report.


Hebrews 12: 1-3 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. for consider him, that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds


Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have; for he hath said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

So, to sum it all up:


• Others have gone before me, suffered horrifically and remained faithful because they believed God would never leave nor forsake them, and they kept the future in mind.

• It does appear that we should expect bad stuff to come our way. There is an enemy out to destroy us - it is normal! God gives us these promises of comfort because he knows we will need them.

• God will deliver us - see us through it...deliver us through to the other side. Deliver says that there are challenges we will face to be delivered from, through, out of. Delivery signifies a journey.

• We must be aware of the danger of covetousness - looking at what others have and what we have not. I find that it, in a bizarre way when Satan is attacking us, is far easier to look at what others have than to look and value what I have.

When we are hurting, when we ask ourselves why and we challenge the goodness of God, we might better consider what we know than what we feel...and I am grateful that God has given us plenty to rely on.

Again, God's timing.  Yesterday someone came to see me overwhelmed with the battle to have a right persepctive.  I guess it impresses me again how we need to be always arming ourselves with truth because we never know when the enemy will attack or what he will use in the attack.

2 comments:

  1. I am grateful that, through frightening and confusing experiences, God shows His power and faithfulness. Through these times, I HAVE to be willing to trust and to learn. He has never let me down before, and it's such a fantastic thing to know He fights for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind I equate fear and worry because I have always struggled with acceptance of others and that fear can be crippling. Only when we trust God fully can we be free from the power that we allow others (which is a direct attack from the evil one) to give us.

    ReplyDelete