Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 21 God's Mysterious Providence

Genesis 50:20  You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Joseph is referring to what his brothers did to him, ultimately selling him into to slavery, but God!!!  Isn't it cool, the way that all ended - even though Joseph went through some horrific years in between.  God never left him, and Joseph's life manifests that relationship - from enduring to persevering through to resisting and overcoming temptation.

Smith addresses the questions, not of whether God can or will accomplish his will, but how God does that.  Whether we can live a self-centered life, make sinful choices, damage our testimonies for a time, and God still be involved, be able to use those messes to accomplish his purposes.

The story of Joseph certainly illustrates this reality for us in the Old Testament, but I also love the illustrations we have in the New Testament of people who messed up big time, yet were greatly used of God.  I think of speak first, then think Peter.  Or doubting Thomas.  Or Saul who in the name of God pursued Christians to the death, yet God used those men to accomplish his purpose, despite their choices.

As I read through this, I thought of my own choices, some that seemed irredeemable - like dropping out of BBC in my second semester.  As I look at those choices, I see how God gave me grace and mercy and second chances, and I promise you, it made me much more prepared to minister grace and mercy.

The final thought, the one I wrote in my book yesterday, was this: God can use my mistakes, my sinful choices,  to accomplish his purposes.  But I don't want him to have to.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for the providence of God. It's comforting to know that nothing escapes His notice; nothing happens outside of His reach.

    "God intended it for good."

    ReplyDelete