Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 27 Putting God to the Test

Exodus 17:7 And he called the place Massah and Meribah because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the LORD saying, "Is the LORD among us or not?"

There is so much to talk about here: God's provision, their becoming so used to it, how quickly they take it for granted and start complaining, their demanding constant and new affirmation of God's presence in ways that please them....and finally, how similar our behavior is to theirs.

There is also the discussion of whether this is a test of God's love and provision, or their love and trust. Which is going on there and here?

One thing that comes to my mind is that God made us, and he made us with a desire or need to love and be loved, like his own. He commands us to love him and to love others. The issue is how do we recognize love? What makes us feel loved?

When I meet with prospective RDs, one of the exercises I use is designed to determine whether they are communicating their love to one another in ways that each understands it. My goal is to help them see that what they want to feel loved may not be what the mate wants, needs or recognizes as loving.

Now, let's transfer that to our reality...we, as humans, and maybe this is part of the consequences of the fall, appear to want to have what WE recognize as God's blessings to feel loved by him. When we are challenged, when we have painful circumstances come into our lives, we question God. "Where are you God?" we cry out. "This isn't fair, God. You have given them so much more of your blessings, and me so much less. You don't really love me, after all."

It makes me wonder how conditional our own love for God and others is. Or is this our reality: "I will love you as long as you love me by providing and doing that which makes me feel loved."

Then, I wonder, how much consideration we give to making God feel loved. How much time do we spend meditating on loving him back, responding to his love?

No comments:

Post a Comment