Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11 Selling Ourselves Short

Genesis 25:34  So Esau despised his birthright.

God had gifted Esau with a place in the family that had certain benefits, and he gave it all up to satisfy an immediate appetite.  And the consequences of that choice roll on through the ages, continuing to take their toll.

It is an amazing and challenging thought to consider that what I do may affect others, even people I do not know.  Then I think about that then-young woman who decided to give her energies to Child Evangelism Fellowship.  Through her ministry I came to know the Lord.  God has since used my life to encourage others in their relationship with him and even lead some to a saving relationship with him. Their lives ripple down through their generations influenced and affected by someone they will never know.

Hmmm, isn't that the point Smith is making here with these words:  Hardly ever is the following generation untouched by the foolish actions of the preceding generation.   My illustration referred to the wise decisions people have made and their influence because both are true.  We can affect and influence people for good or for evil.  We do not live as islands, but always as part of a whole, touching others, near and far.

As I think of the title of this entry - Selling Ourselves Short - I think of the responsibility, the trust God has given each of us - a trust and talents that differ, but which are nonetheless significant.  This brings to mind the parable of the talents, and I think the two are related.  God has given us talents and interests and giftednesses to be shared.  Sometimes it may be more tempting to hide behind shyness, modesty, or fear, and they are just as dangerous as the temptation to satisfy an immediate appetite.  Esau wanted food.  I wonder what immediate gratifications might keep me from being useful to God, what might distract me or make me a bad influence instead of a blessing.

And what do I do about all that?  Smith offers these words: When every moment in life is seen in its proper, larger context, there is less of a chance that we will act rashly at any given moment.
I think he's right.  Every morning we must remind ourselves to whom we belong, first God, then our family in him.  We don't want to mess up his reputation.  We do want to be used to bless the rest of family - so personal assessment and recognition of the bigger picture is important.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is important to see the benefits as well as the consequences to decisions and remember that both are an option. I don't think I look enough to what may happen down the road when I make a decision. This can get daunting to think about, but that is where our lives are also sprinkled with God's grace - God is gracious to also take a bad decision and turn it into something good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that sometimes I go too far in the opposite direction and think TOO much about important decisions. My problem isn't necessarily rushing too quickly into a bad decision; it's holding back from making a decision. This is usually because I fear what's ahead.

    Decision-making is stressful to me, but God has always been faithful. It's amazing to think of how much He desires to bless His children, and how much we might miss if we make them without seeking His guidance.

    ReplyDelete